The name "Cave of the Winds" is a bit deceiving. In the 1800's there was a rock overhang --or a cave like structure-- that allowed people to stand under the Falls. The Cave collapsed in the early 1900's but the name stuck.
Cave of the Winds
Then it is time to prepare for the power of the Falls! You will be outfitted in souvenir sandals and ponchos that will do their best to keep you dry before descending 175 feet into the awe-inspiring Niagara Gorge. Exit the elevator cave and find yourself on a series of wooden walkways that will bring you to unbelievable “Hurricane Deck” where you are within feet of the crashing Bridal Veil Falls and surrounded by tropical storm like conditions—even on the calmest of days! Nowhere else on earth gets you closer to Niagara Falls!
The Cave of the Winds and Pavilion is a timed ticketed attraction, and à la carte tickets are available for purchase in the park, or as part of the value-added Niagara Falls USA Discovery Pass, which is available seasonally. Even though summer is over, you can embrace the beauty of Niagara Falls State Park and see the Falls 365 days a year. We're open year-round!
When you visit the Cave of the Winds, you have the option of using sandals that are provided by the park. When you are done using them, please recycle them at the recycle points in the park or bring them home as a memory of your great adventure!
Timed tickets are not available at this time.
Cave of the Winds Winter ExperienceThe wonder never stops at Niagara Falls State Park, where winter is the most memorable time of year. From snow-kissed trees and light poles, to birds making the park their winter home, Niagara Falls State Park comes alive with icy magic. A stroll around the park during this time will take your breath away. If you are planning a winter getaway to Niagara Falls State Park, there are still ways to get up close and personal with the Falls. The Cave of the Winds Gorge Walk is an abbreviated tour that allows you to view the Falls from observation platforms and keeps you a bit drier. Plus, weather permitting, the NEW Cave of the Winds Winter Experience will amaze you! Bundle up and take the elevator down to the frozen Gorge and admire the arctic beauty of the Niagara River! Ice cleats available for exploration of the Gorge path with purchase of a Cave of the Winds ticket.
NEW – Snowshoes will be available on loan, free of charge out of Cave of the Winds every day from 9am until 3pm, January and February. They are first come, first serve. It’s the perfect way to explore Niagara Falls State Park just after a fresh snowfall!
* Did you know that each fall, the walkways and decks of the Cave of the Winds are removed to be protected from the ice of the harsh Niagara winters? All winter long, crews repaint and waterproof the lumber with Thompson's Water Seal and then each spring, the decks and walkways are rebuilt for another summer of fun.
Call (716) 285-0705 for more information about Cave of the Winds.
World Changed Here Pavilion
Once the Gorge Walk concludes for the season, you can still experience the wonder of Niagara Falls by visiting the World Changed Here Pavilion. It's open year-round!
Hours of Operation* Indicates when last ticket will be sold and last entry to attraction will be allowed.
Cave of the Winds
Winter Experience (weather permitting)
After enjoying the World Changed Here Pavilion, take the elevator down to the frozen Gorge to admire the beauty of the Niagara River!
- Open Daily: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Memorial Day Weekend: 9 a.m. - 9:15 p.m.* (Friday, May 24; Saturday, May 25; and Sunday, May 26) / 9 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.* (Monday, May 27)
- Independence Day Weekend: 9 a.m. - 9:15 p.m.* (Thursday, July 4, Friday, July 5, Saturday, July 6, and Sunday, July 7)
- Labor Day Weekend: 9 a.m. - 9:15 p.m.* (Friday, August 30, Saturday, August 31 and Sunday, September 1) / 9 a.m. - 8:15 p.m.* (Monday, September 2)
- Columbus Day Weekend: 9 a.m. - 8:15 p.m.* (Saturday, October 12 and Sunday, October 13) / 9 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.* (Monday, October 14)
- Thanksgiving (Thursday, November 28): Closed
- Christmas Day (Wednesday, December 25): Closed
- New Year's Day (Wednesday, January 1, 2020): Closed
À La Carte Admission RatesWinter Experience - Winter-Spring 2020
Includes Cave of the Winds Winter Experience and World Changed Here Pavilion access
- Adult: $7
- Child (Ages 6-12): $5
- Child (Ages 5 and Under): Free
- Group: $4/person
- Education: $3/person
Cave of the Winds à la carte timed tickets are not available online. You may purchase them on the same day in person at the attraction in the park.
Group PoliciesPlease refer to this page for details regarding new group policies for Cave of the Winds.
Photo Gallery: World Changed Here Pavilion
Check out photos from our exciting new indoor multimedia experience, the World Changed Here Pavilion.