Niagara Falls Illumination
Throughout the year, Niagara Falls is illuminated for holidays and significant occasions, as determined by the Niagara Falls Illumination Board (NFIB). The falls are also lit in custom colors for short durations to mark significant dates in support of charitable causes. A schedule of upcoming illuminations for such causes is shown below, and all will take place from 10-10:15 p.m. unless otherwise noted (excluding special holiday illuminations).
The New Falls Illumination
In 2016, almost 20 years since the last major investment in falls lighting, the existing Xenon lights were replaced with new, energy-efficient LED lighting technology. These new lights provide more than twice the previous lighting levels, programmable lighting, and a wider spectrum of color. The new lights also fill gaps to provide a more consistent lighting effect.
Niagara Falls Charitable Cause IlluminationsAugust 2019
- August 3 - Food Day Canada (9:15-9:30 p.m., 10:15-10:30 p.m.; Red and white)
- August 6 - World PVNH Disorder Awareness Day (Yellow and pink)
- August 7 - Light it Up Green for Muscular Dystrophy (Green)
- August 15 - Brother Sister Community Day (Orange, green, and white)
- August 22 - Light The Sky Green (Green)
- August 24 - India's 73rd Independence Day (Orange, white, and green)
- August 30 - Day of the Republic of Tatarstan (Green, white, and red)
- August 31 - Positive Living Niagara (Purple)
- September 1 - World Childhood Cancer Month (Gold)
- September 3 - Prostate Cancer Foundation (Blue)
- September 4 - PKD Foundation of Canada (Teal)
- September 6 - Prostate Cancer Awareness (Blue)
- September 7 - Dystonia Awareness Month (Blue and white)
- September 8 - From Niagara to Israel with Love (Blue and white)
- September 9 - FASD International Awareness Day (Red)
- September 10 - World Suicide Prevention Day (Yellow)
- September 12 - 2019 Northeast Regional Boule (Blue)
- September 13 - Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (Blue)
- September 14 - Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week (Green)
- September 15 - World Lymphona Awareness Day (Green - Canadian Falls; Red - American and Bridal Veil Falls)
- September 16 - Hunger Action Day (Orange)
- September 17 - World Duchenne Awareness Day (Red)
- September 18 - Big Brothers Big Sisters Month (Teal)
- September 21 - World Alzheimer's Day (Blue and white)
- September 22 - Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month (Green, blue, and teal)
- September 24 - The Centennial Celebration (Orange and blue)
- September 27 - Conquer Chiari Walk Across America (Purple)
- September 28 - 150th BHC Anniversary (Red, blue, and white)
- September 29 - World Heart Day (Red)
- September 30 - DURable Brains Foundation (Purple)
- October 1 - HPV Prevention Week (Teal)
- October 2 - International Wrongful Conviction Day (Yellow and white)
- October 4 - Breast Cancer Awareness Month (Pink)
- October 5 - Dysautonomia International Awareness Month (Turquoise)
- October 6 - World Cerebral Palsey Day (Green)
- October 7 - 7th Annual International Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness Day (Access to Tower granted for 4 people; Teal)
- October 12 - National Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day #lightupMBC (Green, teal, and pink)
- October 13 - World Thrombosis Day (Red and blue)
- October 15 - International Wave of Light (Blue and pink)
- October 18 - Developmental Language Disorder Awareness Day (Yellow and purple)
- October 25 - Mark it Read for Dyslexia (Red)
- November 1 - Project Red Ribbon (Red)
- November 2 - Illuminate for LGS (Green and purple)
- November 3 - Treaties Recognition Week (Purple and white)
- November 4 - Color The World Orange (Orange)
- November 5 - CRPS/RSD Awareness Day (Orange)
- November 7 - Light The World in Teal (Teal)
- November 8 - Friends for Life (Blue)
- November 10 - World NET Cancer Day (White and black)
- November 11 - Remembrance Day (Red)
- November 12 - SOS Children's Villages 50th Anniversary (Blue)
- November 17 - World Prematurity Day (Purple)
- November 18 - Latvian National Flag (Red, white, and red)
- November 24 - 16 Days of Activism, Candle Light Vigil (Orange)
- November 30 - Stomach Cancer Awareness Day - The Power of Periwinkle (Periwinkle Blue)
Special Holiday IlluminationsNiagara Falls is illuminated for the following annual holidays and significant occasions:
- February 14, 2019 - Valentine's Day (Pink and red every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 17, 2019 - St. Patrick's Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 30, 2019 - Earth Hour (Falls will remain dark from 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.)
- April 22, 2019 - Earth Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 20, 2019 - Victoria Day (Purple every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 27, 2019 - Memorial Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- June 5, 2019 - World Environment Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 1, 2019 - Canada Day (Red and white every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 4, 2019 - Independence Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- November 11, 2019 - Remembrance Day (Red at the top of every hour for 15 minutes)
Niagara Falls 2019 Illuminations Schedule
- April 1-30: 7 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- May 1-14: 8 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- May 15-31: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- June 1 - July 22: 8:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- July 23-31: 8:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 1-15: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 16-31: 7:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 1-19: 7:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 20-30: 6:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- October 1-15: 6:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- October 16 - November 4: 5 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- November 5 - December 30: 4:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- December 31: 4:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
How to Submit Special Niagara Falls Lighting RequestsPlease visit our Illumination Requests page for more information on how to submit a special Niagara Falls lighting request.