Niagara Falls Illumination
Throughout the year, Niagara Falls is illuminated for holidays and significant occasions, as determined by the Niagara Falls Illumination Board (NFIB). The falls are also lit in custom colors for short durations to mark significant dates in support of charitable causes. A schedule of upcoming illuminations for such causes is shown below, and all will take place from 10-10:15 p.m. unless otherwise noted (excluding special holiday illuminations).
The New Falls Illumination
In 2016, almost 20 years since the last major investment in falls lighting, the existing Xenon lights were replaced with new, energy-efficient LED lighting technology. These new lights provide more than twice the previous lighting levels, programmable lighting, and a wider spectrum of color. The new lights also fill gaps to provide a more consistent lighting effect.
Niagara Falls Charitable Cause IlluminationsApril 2019
- April 19 - Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness Day (Yellow, blue and pink)
- April 21 - Easterseals 100th Anniversary (Orange)
- April 22 - Earth Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- April 24 - Human Values Day (Blue, orange, green, red and yellow)
- April 26 - Donate Life Month (Green and blue)
- April 28 - Day of Mourning (Yellow)
- April 29 - PMDD Awareness Month (Teal)
- May 1 - National Foster Care Month Kick Off (Blue)
- May 2 - Bladder Cancer Awareness Month (Orange)
- May 3 - Lyme Disease Awareness (8-8:15 p.m., 9-9:15 p.m., 10-10:15 p.m., and 11-11:15 p.m.; Green)
- May 4 - Mission 8 Buffalo Niagara Honor Flight (Red, white, and blue)
- May 5 - World Pulmonary Hypertension Day (Purple)
- May 6 - Holocaust Remembrance (Yellow)
- May 7 - World Awareness Ovarian Cancer Day (Teal)
- May 8 - Children's Mental Health Awareness Week (Green)
- May 10 - Worldwide Lupus Awareness Day (Purple)
- May 12 - International Awareness Day - MCS (Yellow and green)
- May 13 - National Public Gardens Day (Green)
- May 16 - World Hypertension Day (Red)
- May 17 - World NF Awareness Day (Green and blue)
- May 18 - Turn it Teal for Food Allergies (Teal)
- May 19 - Huntington Disease Awareness Month (Blue and purple)
- May 20 - Victoria Day (Purple every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 23 - Red Nose Day (Red)
- May 24 - National Schizophrenia and Psychosis Awareness Day (Green and purple)
- May 25 - Rankin Cancer Run (Orange)
- May 27 - Memorial Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- June 1 - Gun Violence Awareness Month (Orange)
- June 2 - Cooley's Anemia Foundation CareWalk for a Cure for Thalassemia (Red and blue)
- June 3 - National Deaf-Blind Awareness Month (Blue)
- June 5 - World Environment Day (Top of every hour throughout the evening from 9 p.m. - 2 a.m.; Green)
- June 6 - Shriners International Awareness Day (Burgundy and gold)
- June 7 - Annual Italian Heritage Month (Green, white and red)
- June 8 - ALS Awareness Month (Purple)
- June 9 - #WearOrange Campaign (Orange)
- June 10 - Jumpstart (Red and white)
- June 14 - World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (Purple)
- June 15 - Shine a Light on Tourette Syndrome (Teal)
- June 17 - CDKL5 Awareness Day (Green)
- June 19 - World Sickle Cell Day (Red and white)
- June 20 - Make Music Day (Orange)
- June 21 - Pollinator Week (Yellow and orange)
- June 30 - Pride Celebration (Orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet)
Special Holiday IlluminationsNiagara Falls is illuminated for the following annual holidays and significant occasions:
- February 14, 2019 - Valentine's Day (Pink and red every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 17, 2019 - St. Patrick's Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 30, 2019 - Earth Hour (Falls will remain dark from 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.)
- April 22, 2019 - Earth Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 20, 2019 - Victoria Day (Purple every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 27, 2019 - Memorial Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- June 5, 2019 - World Environment Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 1, 2019 - Canada Day (Red and white every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 4, 2019 - Independence Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- November 11, 2019 - Remembrance Day (Red at the top of every hour for 15 minutes)
Niagara Falls 2019 Illuminations Schedule
- April 1-30: 7 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- May 1-14: 8 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- May 15-31: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- June 1 - July 22: 8:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- July 23-31: 8:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 1-15: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 16-31: 7:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 1-19: 7:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 20-30: 6:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- October 1-15: 6:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- October 16 - November 4: 5 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- November 5 - December 30: 4:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- December 31: 4:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
How to Submit Special Niagara Falls Lighting RequestsPlease visit our Illumination Requests page for more information on how to submit a special Niagara Falls lighting request.