Niagara Falls Illumination
Throughout the year, Niagara Falls is illuminated for holidays and significant occasions, as determined by the Niagara Falls Illumination Board (NFIB). The falls are also lit in custom colors for short durations to mark significant dates in support of charitable causes. A schedule of upcoming illuminations for such causes is shown below, and all will take place from 10-10:15 p.m. unless otherwise noted (excluding special holiday illuminations).
The New Falls Illumination
In 2016, almost 20 years since the last major investment in falls lighting, the existing Xenon lights were replaced with new, energy-efficient LED lighting technology. These new lights provide more than twice the previous lighting levels, programmable lighting, and a wider spectrum of color. The new lights also fill gaps to provide a more consistent lighting effect.
Niagara Falls Charitable Cause IlluminationsJuly 2019
- July 1 - Canada Day (Top of every hour throughout the evening from 9 p.m. - 2 a.m.; Red and white)
- July 4 - Independence Day (Top of every hour throughout the evening from 9 p.m. - 2 a.m.; Red, white, and blue)
- July 5 - Pride at Niagara (Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet)
- July 14 - NATO's 70th Anniversary (Blue)
- July 19 - Eunice Kennedy Shriver Day - A Global Day of Inclusion (Red)
- July 20 - National Day of the Kingdom of Belgium (Black, yellow, and red)
- July 22 - International Fragile X Awareness Day (Teal)
- July 27 - Empire State Ride (Orange and blue)
- July 28 - World Hepatitis Day (Green)
- July 29 - International Schleroderma Awareness Day (Blue and white)
- July 30 - Gastroschisis Awareness Day (Green)
- August 3 - Food Day Canada (9:15-9:30 p.m., 10:15-10:30 p.m.; Red and white)
- August 7 - Light it Up Green for Muscular Dystrophy (Green)
- August 15 - Brother Sister Community Day (Orange, green, and white)
- September 1 - World Childhood Cancer Month (Gold)
- September 6 - Prostate Cancer Awareness (Blue)
- September 7 - Dystonia Awareness Month (Blue and white)
- September 12 - 2019 Northeast Regional Boule (Blue)
- September 15 - World Lymphona Awareness Day (Green - Canadian Falls; Red - American and Bridal Veil Falls)
- September 17 - World Duchenne Awareness Day (Red)
- September 21 - World Alzheimer's Day (Blue and white)
- September 27 - Conquer Chiari Walk Across America (Purple)
- September 28 - 150th BHC Anniversary (Red, blue, and white)
- September 29 - World Heart Day (Red)
- September 30 - DURable Brains Foundation (Purple)
Special Holiday IlluminationsNiagara Falls is illuminated for the following annual holidays and significant occasions:
- February 14, 2019 - Valentine's Day (Pink and red every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 17, 2019 - St. Patrick's Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes, illumination extended until 2 a.m.)
- March 30, 2019 - Earth Hour (Falls will remain dark from 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.)
- April 22, 2019 - Earth Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 20, 2019 - Victoria Day (Purple every hour for 15 minutes)
- May 27, 2019 - Memorial Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- June 5, 2019 - World Environment Day (Green every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 1, 2019 - Canada Day (Red and white every hour for 15 minutes)
- July 4, 2019 - Independence Day (Red, white and blue every hour for 15 minutes)
- November 11, 2019 - Remembrance Day (Red at the top of every hour for 15 minutes)
Niagara Falls 2019 Illuminations Schedule
- April 1-30: 7 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- May 1-14: 8 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- May 15-31: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- June 1 - July 22: 8:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- July 23-31: 8:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 1-15: 8:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- August 16-31: 7:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 1-19: 7:15 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- September 20-30: 6:45 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- October 1-15: 6:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- October 16 - November 4: 5 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- November 5 - December 30: 4:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.
- December 31: 4:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.
How to Submit Special Niagara Falls Lighting RequestsPlease visit our Illumination Requests page for more information on how to submit a special Niagara Falls lighting request.