- Plan Your Trip
- Discover Niagara Shuttle
- Download the Walking Tour App
- Niagara Falls Weather
- Special Events at Niagara Falls State Park
- More to Do
- Rent Bikes, Strollers & Wheelchairs in the Park
- Winter Wonder Savings Pass
- Winter Itinerary
- Maps and Directions
- Contact Us
Niagara Falls Winter Itinerary
When the temperatures drop and the crowds thin, Niagara Falls State Park becomes even more magical. With trees that sparkle and views that take your breath away, bundle up and come experience what is considered the most wonderful time of the year!Enjoy the most beautiful time of the year at this winter wonder! The water and beauty doesn't stop when the summer ends, and there is nothing more breathtaking than the Niagara Falls in the winter. Marvel at the ice-coated trees, and the "frozen falls" will amaze you. (Spoiler alert: the Falls never really freeze, it just looks like it!) Warm up at the World Changed Here Pavilion at the Cave of the Winds, and learn about the magnificent history that happened here. And with special programs running all winter long, there is no better time to visit Niagara Falls State Park!
Check out these winter ideas and make plans to experience nature in its most beautiful form!
View Frozen Niagara Falls Photos and Video
- Stroll Goat Island and watch for wildlife that spends their winters in Niagara. Don’t miss a stop at Stedman's Bluff to check out Nikola Tesla as he overlooks the frozen falls!
- Warm up at the Cave of the Winds Pavilion and learn more about what Niagara Falls was like before it was a park and the impact it has made on the world!
- Get acquainted with the animals at the Aquarium of Niagara! Hang out with the tropical fish and maybe even meet a penguin!
- Generate some heat with a visit to the Niagara Power Vista and experience a hands-on and interactive way to learn about electricity!
- History doesn’t stop in the winter. Experience how the soldiers who resided at Old Fort Niagara dealt with winter.
- Wander the walls of the Castellani Art Museum on the campus of Niagara University.
- Treat yourself at the Fashion Outlets Niagara Falls.
- Wine is a sure-fire way to warm up! The Niagara Wine Trail offers options for every taste!
- Shake the chill with a spa day at the Seneca Niagara Casino
- Enjoy a romantic fireside dinner at the Red Coach Inn. Or treat the kids to a rainforest adventure at the Rainforest Café! There a several awesome dining options that are within walking distance of the park! Or try some hot wings at the world-famous Anchor Bar, home of the original Buffalo chicken wing. Check out NiagaraFallsUSA.com for options!
- Book an overnight at any of the local hotels – some even have pools to make you feel like you are on a tropical vacation! Look here to discover your choices.
Free Ice Skating in Niagara Falls, NYGrab your ice skates and head to the ice rinks this winter! DeVeaux Woods State Park and Reservoir State Park are now open for ice skating.
Both outdoor rinks will be open weather permitting, and are free for the public to use. Skate rentals are not available, hockey is prohibited as it ruins the ice surface of the rustic rinks.
Operating hours for both rinks:
- Sundays - Thursdays: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fridays and Saturdays: 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
The rink at Deveaux was created by a partnership between the City of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Region of New York State Parks and the Reservoir rink was built during reconstruction of the park that was completed by the New York State Power Authority.
Please call 716-284-5778 for the status of rinks.
Niagara Falls Winter EventsBeat cabin fever and take in the beauty of Niagara Falls in the winter with your family at some great events at Niagara Falls State Park! Parking in the park is $5 and tickets to enter the Cave of the Winds are required to enter the attraction, however all events listed below are free.
Girl Scouts of Western New York at the Falls
Saturday, February 16
11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Cave of the Winds Pavilion
Meet the Girl Scouts of Western New York and have fun doing crafts, and learning more about the history of Girl Scouts.
Saturday, March 2
10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
Cave of the Winds Pavilion
Calling all pre-school and elementary kids! Explore a new topic, take a winter walk and make a cool craft! Please call (716) 282-5154 to register.
Please visit our Special Events page for information about other fun winter events including ones at nearby DeVeaux Woods State Park!
View More Winter Events